William D. Yoquinto focuses his practice on all phases of defense litigation, including trials and appeals, in matters relating to medical malpractice, product liability, pharmaceuticals, professional licensing, and other liability claims. He has successfully defended lawsuits on behalf of physicians, health care providers, and hospitals in various medical specialties including obstetrics, cardiology, emergency care, general surgery, primary care, urology, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, radiology, orthopedics, pharmacy, and critical care, among others. He has successfully represented product and component part manufacturers, distributors, retailers and related parties in product liability and complex tort claims. Bill has also protected the licenses of professionals navigating disciplinary matters before the State of New York Department of Health’s Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC) and the New York State Department of Education’s Office of the Professions.
Bill takes great pride in the positive responses received from his clients. Knowing that he has understood, protected and advanced their interests is his objective in every case.
Clients often comment that they are impressed with Bill’s case preparation, whether it is in learning their business, practice, or area of concern. He frequently receives positive feedback about the extent and depth of his legal services, from learning the product, anatomy, or associated literature.
Bill’s objective is to prepare his clients to defend themselves from the expected and unexpected. For example, his clients have said that Bill’s deposition preparation with them was more challenging than the actual questioning from the opposing attorney.
Additionally, another client reported that Bill’s hard work on his professional liability case was the subject of regular dinner table discussion between him and his wife. Hearing that reinforces the importance of what Bill does, because he knows that it personally affects his clients and their families.
- ALFA International
- ALFA International Product Liability and Complex Tort Practice Group, Group Chair (2016-17); Vice Chair (2014-16); Program Chair (2013-14)
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Biennial Medical Malpractice Program, Program Chair (1999-14)
- Saratoga County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Inns of Court, Albany Law School chapter, Past Master
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV”® Preeminent™ Attorney
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year – Personal Injury Defense” (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Best Lawyer” (2013–present)
- Super Lawyers®, “Super Lawyer (2008–present)
- The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel Magazine, “Top Health Care Law Lawyer” (2013)
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law (1979)
- B.A., Fordham University (1976)
- New York State (1980)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- Program Chair: “Keeping Watch for Lightning at the Peak: Strategies to Limit Risks from Product and Complex Tort Claims”, ALFA International Product Liability and Complex Tort Practice Group Biennial Seminar, Colorado Springs, CO (2014)
- Program Chair: “Medical Malpractice Seminar” New York State Bar Association, Albany, NY (1999-14)
- Speaker: “Medical Malpractice – Cross-Examination of the Medical Expert”, New York State Bar Association, Albany, NY (1999-14)
- Presenter: “Trial of a Product Liability Case – Mock Trial”, Association of Equipment Manufacturers Product Liability Seminar, Schaumberg, IL (2014)
- Speaker: “Social Media in Litigation”, ALFA International Product Liability Practice Group seminar, Nashville, TN (2011)
- Moderator: “Pioneering Through the New Economic Frontier: Product Liability in a Changed World. Post Incident Testing of Products in the Presentation ‘Test or Not to Test'”, ALFA International Client Seminar, Palm Desert, CA (2010)
- Speaker: “Settling a Personal Injury Case – Strategies for Obtaining the Best Settlement for Your Client”, New York State Bar Association webcast (2010)
- Author: “In New York Federal Pre-Emption Does Not Bar Manufacturer Liability When a Tour Bus Rolls Over, but the State is Immune from Suit When a Tour Boat Sinks”, ALFA International Product Liability Perspectives newsletter (Winter 2012)
- Author: “New York Appellate Court Applies Frye Test to Exclude Expert Causation Opinions Not Based on New Science”, ALFA International Product Liability Perspectives newsletter (Winter 2011)
- Author: “New York’s Highest Court Clarifies a Latency Exception to the Statute of Limitations for Bringing Some Product Liability Tort Claims”, ALFA International Product Liability Perspectives newsletter (Summer 2011)
- Author: “User’s Gross Mishandling of Product Does Not Entitle Defendant Manufacturer to Summary Judgment in New York'”, ALFA International Product Liability Perspectives newsletter (Summer 2011)
- Editor: “Selected Topics in Medical Malpractice Litigation”, New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, (Special Edition Editor), Vol. 13, No. 1 (Winter 2008)
- Author: “Must Hospital Vicarious Liability for Non-Employee Physicians Continue in the 21st Century”, New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1 (Winter 2008)