John T. Maloney is a nationally recognized trial lawyer who concentrates his legal practice on the defense and trial of medical and professional malpractice claims, product liability, and commercial litigation in State and Federal Courts throughout upstate New York. John regularly represents physicians and other professionals before State Administrative agencies and licensing boards including the State of New York Department of Health Office of Professional Medical Conduct (OPMC).
John has been a litigator for over 40 years and is one of the most accomplished and well-respected attorneys in upstate New York. He has been honored for his impeccable skills and achievements, but it is the civility, honesty, and integrity with which John represents his clients, and extends to the legal community, that sets him apart.
Having worked at Carter Conboy for his entire professional career, John was the benefactor of mentorship in his early career by some of the most well-regarded lawyers in our area, including James M. Conboy and James S. Carter. John pays it forward by providing mentorship to the young attorneys in the Firm.
For over 15 years, John has been a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of the premier legal associations in America. The College is composed of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada. Fellowship is extended by invitation only to those trial lawyers who have mastered the art of trial advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility, and collegiality. Membership in the College cannot exceed one percent of the total lawyer population of any state or province. John has served on the National Trial Competition Committee for the ACTL, in addition to his appointment by the Board of Regents as Chair of the New York – Upstate Committee.
In 2015, John was awarded the Daniel Mahoney Memorial Award by the Capital District Trial Lawyers Association, an award that is given to an attorney who demonstrates outstanding commitment and service to his clients, the bar, and the legal profession. He was named the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America® in the category of Medical Malpractice Law – Defense, and a three-time winner of “Lawyer of the Year” in the category of Product Liability Litigation – Defense (2014, 2016, 2019).
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American College of Trial Lawyers, New York – Upstate Chair; National Trial Competition Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Appellate Division, Third Judicial Department, Character and Fitness Committee
- American Inns of Court, Albany Law School chapter, Master
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association, Dan Mahoney Memorial Award (2015)
- Best Lawyers, “Lawyer of the Year – Medical Malpractice Defense” (2016)
- Best Lawyers, “Lawyer of the Year – Product Liability Defense” (2014, 2017, 2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV” Preeminent Attorney
- Best Lawyers in America®, Best Lawyer (2009-present)
- SuperLawyers®, “Super Lawyer” (2008-present)
- DiNapoli v. Gjoni and Nathan Littauer Hospital, 294 AD2d 648 (3rd Dept 2002)
- Borg-Warner Corp. v. INA, 577 NYS2d 953 (3rd Dept 1992)
- J.D., Albany Law School of Union University (1973)
- B.A., College of the Holy Cross (1970)
- New York State
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Speaker: “Basic Lessons on Ethics and Civility”, New York State Bar Association, Albany, NY (2014)
- Speaker: “How to Prepare for and Conduct Cross-Examination of Plaintiff’s Experts at Trial”, Carter Conboy Continuing Legal Education Program, Albany, NY (2014)
- Speaker: “Ethics in Everyday Practice Scenarios”, Carter Conboy Continuing Legal Education Program, Albany, NY (2013)
- Speaker: “Code of Pretrial and Trial Conduct”, Carter Conboy Continuing Legal Education Program, Albany, NY (2012)
- Speaker: “Ethics in Everyday Practice Scenarios”, Washington County Bar Association (2012)
- Speaker: “Ethics in Everyday Practice Scenarios”, Federation of Bar Associations, 4th Judicial District, Lake Placid, NY (2012)
- Speaker: “Introductory Lessons on Ethics and Civility – “Hot Topics on Ethics and What’s New in the NY Rules of Professional Conduct”, New York State Bar Association, Albany, NY (2009)