It is with great sadness that the law firm of Carter, Conboy, Case, Blackmore, Maloney and Laird, P.C. notes the passing of our friend, mentor and partner, James C. Blackmore.
Mr. Blackmore was a proud member of this law firm for 50 years. During that time he was universally recognized for his intellect, creativity, diligence, loyalty to his clients, honesty, and integrity. Although he tried to hide it at times, Mr. Blackmore was a warm and generous friend and partner to all of us at Carter Conboy.
We are proud that he was one of us and we miss him already.
Jim is survived by his wife Josette Hogan Blackmore of Naples, FL and Nantucket, MA, Jeffrey Blackmore and his wife Melissa of Plano TX, and Jennifer Blackmore and her husband John Melder of Castro Valley, CA.
James C. Blackmore joined Carter Conboy in 1968 and successfully practiced in the areas of commercial real estate (primarily representing lenders and developers), insurance coverage, and commercial litigation until his passing in May 2018.
Mr. Blackmore was a well-respected and accomplished leader in real estate law. He served as lending counsel to several upstate New York banks and trust companies. He represented developers and financial institutions with high-end, residential and commercial properties, specifically with real estate transaction matters related to land acquisition, planning and permitting, financing, construction, and management.
Mr. Blackmore delivered 50 years of unmatched experience to his clients. His professionalism and competence resulted in not only some of the biggest commercial real estate projects in the Capital District but decades of business relationships with loyal and trusted clients.
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Title and Transfer Committee
- New York State Bar Association, Real Property Construction Law Committee
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Lawyer of the Year”, Real Estate Law (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America®, “Best Lawyer” (2009 – present)
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV” Preeminent Attorney Rating
- Represented a local developer with a $50,000,000 project involving the development of a four-building, Class A, mixed-use project with 312 apartments and 70,000 sq. ft. of first-floor commercial space.
- Represented a local financial lender with a $7,000,000 construction loan related to the development of a 70 unit senior apartment community.
- Represented a local lender with a $15,000,000 construction loan related to the construction of a new parking garage and adjacent roadways at a local college.
- J.D., Albany Law School of Union University | 1968
- A.B., Colgate University | 1965
- New York State
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
Mr. Blackmore authored numerous articles and lectured extensively for the New York State Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute, and others, on insurance coverage issues, including bad faith, anti-subrogation, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, and no-fault insurance coverage, as well as real estate and real property law.