White Collar and Internal Investigations
Legal Services for Your White Collar and Internal Investigation Needs
White Collar crime typically refers to nonviolent crime perpetrated by professionals, businesses, and corporations for financial gain. If you are under, or suspect you are under, investigation, have been charged with a crime, or are witness to a crime, it is important that you choose the right attorney from the start as the government moves quickly and has vast resources.
Others will tout their experience, but having served in various levels of State and Federal government, the attorneys at Carter Conboy posses experience and institutional knowledge you need on your side.
The mission of our White-Collar team is simple: advocate for you from the early stages of an investigation with the goal of avoiding charges. When charges are inevitable, provide you with a formidable defense through grand jury, charges, and, if necessary, trial. We will protect your reputation, livelihood, finances, and, when circumstances require, your liberty.
Accomplished White Collar Defense Attorneys
At Carter Conboy, our preeminent and comprehensive White Collar team is unmatched. We present skill and proven results from all sides of the courtroom—from our accomplished defense attorneys, to our former prosecutors, to our retired trial judges—delivering the knowledge and perspective to protect and defend you.
As former federal prosecutors with decades experience from the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Federal Bench and State Bench, our White Collar team possess experience and insights into the very institutions commencing investigations against our clients.
Our White Collar team includes attorneys with the following defense, prosecutorial, and judicial experience:
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Division, Northern District of New York
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Civil Division, Eastern District of Michigan
- Enforcement Counsel, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- District Attorney and Assistant District Attorneys
- General Counsel, Division of New York State Police
- Trial Attorney, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Chief of the Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Northern District of New York
- Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge, Northern District of New York
- Justice, New York State Supreme Court
- Judge, Appellate Division, Third Department
- Administrative Judge, Third Judicial District
Our White Collar Clients
White collar crime typically refers to nonviolent crime perpetrated by professionals, businesses, and corporations for financial gain. Our white-collar industry clients range from individuals, to business owners and corporate officers, and professionals and government officials, and include those who are under, or suspect they are under, investigation, have been charged with a crime, or are witness to a crime.
Comprehensive White Collar Services
Our White Collar services cover all aspects of criminal, civil, administrative, and disciplinary investigations, and defense involving complex corporate, financial, securities, regulatory, and enforcement issues in state and federal courts and before administrative tribunals, including:
- Accounting Fraud
- Antitrust Fraud
- Bank Fraud
- Business Fraud
- Commercial and Consumer Fraud
- Corporate Fraud
- Criminal and Civil RICO Actions
- Criminal and Civil Environmental Actions
- Cross-Border Investigations and Actions
- Defense Contractor Fraud
- Department of Labor (DOL) Investigations
- Division of Human Rights Investigations (NYSDHR)
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Enterprise Corruption
- Financial Fraud
- Government Contractor Fraud
- Health Care Fraud and Investigations
- Investment Fraud
- Immigration Fraud
- Insider Trading
- Mail and Wire Fraud
- Medicare and Medicaid Fraud
- Money Laundering and Wire Fraud
- Mortgage Fraud
- Qui Tam Whistleblower Actions
- Pharmaceutical Fraud
- Public Corruption
- Real Estate Fraud
- SEC Investigations and Enforcement Actions
- Securities Fraud
- State Inspector General Investigations
- Tax Fraud
- Theft of Honest Services
- Theft of Intellectual Property
Notable White Collar Experience and Results
- Vast involvement working on matters involving federal civil violations of the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- A successful trial involving the chief executive officer of a financial services institution and the chief financial officer of a publically traded consolidator in environmental remediation, related to bank fraud in connection with a $1.6 million Small Business Administration loan and a subsequent “pump and dump” stock scheme.
- Favorable disposition involving the principal of a U.S. financial company related to securities fraud in connection with the sale of unregistered investment contracts, resulting in approximately $3.7 million in investor losses.
- Litigation of securities enforcement cases, from charging through discovery and trial, including depositions and testimony of chief executive officers and investment fund managers.
- Successful trial involving an investment adviser accused of federal civil securities fraud in connection with a $19.5 million Ponzi scheme involving unregistered promissory notes.
- Successful trial involving a three-defendant international wire fraud and money laundering “advance-fee” scheme related to the purported financing of real estate construction projects worth $1.6 million in fraud proceeds being laundered through Latvia and foreign and domestic “shell” corporations. Trial evidence included foreign documentary evidence obtained through Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (“MLAT”).
- Successful trial involving an international bank fraud and money laundering “advance-fee” scheme related to the purported sale of American-made cigarettes to domestic and foreign investors.
- Investigations related to violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, including a case involving a pharmaceutical company and company president accused of fraud in connection with a misbranded non-FDA approved drug in violation of Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, and forfeiture of $1.7 million in gross profits.
- Criminal investigation of a pharmaceutical company regarding the off-label sale of a local anesthetic for uses not approved as safe by the Food and Drug Administration, including the coordination of a parallel civil investigation by U.S. Attorney’s Office and a separate Qui Tam/Relator
- Investigations and trials related to Medicare and Medicaid fraud, including a case involving a health care medical equipment provider accused of Medicare and Medicaid fraud in connection with fraudulent sales.
- Successful defense of a police department involving negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice resulting in the full dissolution of a thirty-five-year Title VII Civil Rights Consent Decree.
- Investigation of a police department involving allegations that executive officers subverted a U.S. Department of Justice Department Title VII Civil Rights Consent Decree when they compromised a police officer entrance exam.
- Extensive experience working on matters related to litigation and responses to Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), New York State Division of Human Rights (NYSDHR), U.S. Department of Labor (USERRA), and State Inspector General investigations and matters.
Beyond White Collar and Internal Investigations
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your white collar and investigation needs. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From preparing your will, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.