Legal Services for Your Not-for-Profit Needs
At Carter Conboy, we believe that not-for-profit organizations play an important and dynamic role in our community. The legal challenges facing nonprofit sector are as unique as the organizations themselves.
While passion and mission are vital components of not-for-profit organizations, clients are also responsible for significant financial and legal obligations. Understanding and planning for these commitments before and during formation, and throughout operations, will help you meet your goals and objectives.
Accomplished Not-for-Profit Attorneys
We take an interdisciplinary approach to our work, coordinating the most experienced and capable team of attorneys to address each of our client’s distinct needs. We understand what makes your organization different and we know how hard you work. Whenever you need us, we will be at your side, starting with the formation process to ensure that the strength of your organization’s foundation is as solid as your commitment.
In addition to our legal work, many Carter Conboy attorneys are active in a variety of community organizations. Our leadership and volunteer positions provide us with a personal and direct view of the challenges facing the not-for-profit industry.
Our Not-for-Profit Clients
Carter Conboy represents a wide range of not-for-profit organizations, including:
- 501(c)(3) Charitable Organizations
- 501(c)(4) Advocacy Groups
- 501(c)(5) Labor, Agricultural and Horticultural Organizations
- 501(c)(6) Trade and Professional Associations
- 501(c)(7) Social and Recreational Clubs
- 501(c)(8) Fraternal Societies
We also represent individuals and families with philanthropic objectives, and for-profit businesses in their deals and transactions with not-for-profit organizations.
Comprehensive Not-for-Profit Services
At Carter Conboy, we will counsel you through operations and fiduciary responsibilities and deliver risk management education to help you avoid costly litigation. When litigation is unavoidable, we will work closely with you to aggressively support and protect your interests.
Our legal team provides skilled legal guidance and risk prevention strategies to those not-for-profit organizations dedicated to the community, human rights, education, the arts, the environment, medical research and health services. Our services include:
- Applying for not-for-profit and non-profit status
- Business and employment contracts
- Contract and lease drafting and negotiations
- Corporate governance including counseling on Bylaws, policies, procedures, fiduciary duties, best practices, ethics, and conflicts of interest
- Education and training
- Employment issues, counseling, and litigation
- Executive compensation issues
- Fiduciary duties of officers and directors
- Financing matters
- Government investigations
- Liability and risk avoidance counseling
- Litigation representation
- Outside counsel services
- Participating in board and committee meetings
- Public relations
- Real estate issues including acquisition, land development, planning, and zoning
- Regulatory compliance and finance issues
- Regulatory investigations and compliance
- Risk management counseling
- Technology and cyber counseling, planning and liability
Beyond Not-for-Profit Law
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your not-for-profit matters. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From preparing your will, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.