Legal Services for Your Municipal Law Needs
At Carter Conboy, we take pride in having one of the oldest, largest, and most successful Municipal Law practices in upstate New York. With matters in both state and federal courts, our attorneys are familiar with the often-complex federal and state laws, regulations, and procedural and substantive rules that govern Municipal Law claims. We successfully handle these significant and high stakes matters in discovery, at trial, and on appeal.
Accomplished Municipal Law Attorneys
At Carter Conboy, our attorneys are committed to delivering excellence through knowledge and experience. While we have decades of experience in representing and defending municipalities, our attorneys have also served in various levels of state and federal governments, including the executive and judiciary. This unique background enables us to provide strategic and effective services to our clients founded on objective experience and institutional knowledge.
Our Municipal Clients
For decades, Carter Conboy has represented a wide range of clients in civil rights and constitutional law matters, including:
- Police departments
- Police officers, officials, and employees
- Fire and ambulance districts
- Colleges and universities
- School districts, boards, officials, and employees
- Jails, prisons, and correctional facilities
- Governmental agencies, officials, and employees
- State agencies, officials, and employees
- Municipalities, counties, cities, towns, and villages
- Private entities that provide services for and on behalf of governmental agencies
Comprehensive Legal Services
Having represented to municipalities for decades, we are trusted advocates and counselors providing representation in:
- Litigation in state and federal courts
- Planning, risk management, and claims avoidance
- Regulatory investigations and compliance
- Acquisition, development, and zoning of real property
- Environmental compliance and remediation
- General counsel
- Human resource and workplace issues
- Labor and employment issues and litigation
- Mediation and arbitration
- OSHA issues
- Public relations
- Representation at board, municipal, zoning, planning, and other government meetings
- Technology and cyber counseling, planning, and liability
Municipal Liability Claims
Carter Conboy’s team of attorneys is well-versed in all facets of municipal law, from investigation through trial and appeal, including the complexities of claims founded under 42 U.S.C. §§ 1983 and 1985, the Civil Rights Act, as well as many others which expose otherwise immune entities and officials to liability.
We understand the intricacies of working with government officials and employees, corporation counsel, in-house counsel, claims counsel, and risk management personnel. We employ targeted discovery and depositions, early motion practice, and expert and trial strategies, to effectively resolve cases in a timely and cost-effective manner. We do so, to obtain the very best outcome for our clients.
Our attorneys regularly appear before administrative tribunals, such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the New York State Department of Human Rights (NYSDHR). We represent businesses, professionals and other individuals, and state and local public bodies and officials who are charged with alleged violations brought 42 U.S.C. § 1983, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, and other federal and state civil rights statutes.
Counsel to Towns and Villages
Carter Conboy is regularly retained by towns and villages in the State of New York to provide counsel regarding:
- Attendance at meetings and public hearings
- Legal advice to municipal board and/or supervisors
- Review of contracts
- Development and review of local laws, amendments, and resolutions
- Development and review of deeds, contracts, offers and other municipal instruments
- Development and review of policies and procedures
- Assistance with real estate transactions
- Prosecution and defense for and against the municipality and its officials acting in their official capacity
Counseling, Education, and Risk Management Services
At Carter Conboy, we counsel our clients on a variety of risk management issues, including best practices and strategies for handling unfolding events and mitigating potential lawsuits. Some of these issues include heightened public scrutiny, demands for institutional transparency, and access to information and evidence by way of social media, such as the posting of photographs, videos, and audio recordings to social media.
Critical Incident Response Team and Emergency Services
Day or night, whenever and wherever a critical incident occurs, Carter Conboy’s Critical Incident Response Team is available to support you with immediate assistance in critical and catastrophic situations. Our Response Team, which includes our experienced attorneys, together with a group of independent and trusted industry experts – investigators, experts, analysts, and adjusters – are on-call and promptly available when a critical incident or accident occurs.
Beyond Municipal Law
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your municipal law matters. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From helping with a real estate matter, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.