Land Use, Zoning and Real Property
Legal Services for Your Real Property Needs
Zoning and land use issues are often the epicenter of many real property development projects. Resolving these matters successfully is critical to the progress of your project. Carter Conboy attorneys represent developers in a wide-range of real property development matters including land use and zoning issues, municipal taxation, easements, adverse possession, subsurface rights, contract disputes, and environmental review and approvals.
Accomplished Land Use, Zoning and Real Property Attorneys
Clients trust Carter Conboy with all of their real property matters, whether we are part of site selection, appearing before a planning or zoning boards, working with financing issue, at the closing table, or in the courtroom. We have earned client confidence by delivering one of the most seasoned and comprehensive group of attorneys in the Capital Region and a track record of success. We have decades of experience in developing, financing, transacting, and litigating some of the largest and most successful residential, commercial and industrial real property projects in our region.
Our Real Property Clients
Carter Conboy represents a wide range of private and public sector real property clients, including:
- Banks and Asset-Based Lenders
- Builders and Construction Companies
- Condominium and Homeowners Associations
- Developers and Land Owners
- Environmental Organizations
- Individuals and Businesses
- Insurance Companies
- Investors and Investment Companies
- Mortgage Companies
- Property Owners
- Purchasers and Sellers
- Real Estate Professionals
Comprehensive Real Property Services
Real property clients rely on Carter Conboy to provide comprehensive assistance and in-depth strategic guidance on real property matters. Our services include:
- Alternate and renewable energy issues and projects
- Business Law matters
- Commercial, residential, and industrial property sales and purchases
- Contract review
- Development, planning and zoning of real property
- Distressed property and workouts
- Economic development programs
- Educational programming, including legal updates affecting planning and zoning
- Environmental review, including SEQRA and NEPA
- Environmental cleanup and remediation
- Insurance disputes, negotiations, and settlements
- Joint venture relationships
- Land acquisition, use, zoning and real property development
- Legislative easements
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Municipal taxation, including Payment-in-Lieu of Taxes agreements
- New construction
- Professional licensing and liability defense
- Real estate closings
- Regulatory investigations and compliance
- Representation at board and governing meetings
- Residential and commercial mortgage lending
- Structural reports and inspections
- Succession planning and business management
- Technology and cyber consulting, planning and liability
Land Use, Zoning and Permitting
At Carter Conboy, we regularly represent clients before zoning, planning and municipal boards, and before a variety of New York State agencies. Benefitting from long-standing relationships with planning, zoning, engineering, and architecture professionals, we deliver collaborative and cost-conscious representation.
We also have extensive experience providing counsel on environmental review processes, including the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) and the federal National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Real Estate Transactions
In addition to land use and zoning issues, our attorneys counsel private and corporate clients in small to multi-million dollar commercial transactions from start to finish. Some of our transactional services include the preparation of real estate purchase and sales agreements, review of contracts, options to purchase, letters of intent, space leases, ground leases, title work, restrictive covenants, easements, finance agreements, and closings.
Collaborative Banking and Finance Services
At Carter Conboy, we offer a comprehensive team of attorneys who are skilled in transactional, regulatory, and litigation matters. For finance issues, we team with the attorneys in our Banking & Financial Services department concerning your real property financing needs, from traditional and construction loans, to bonds and IDA financing, to restructuring and workouts.
Our attorneys are often called upon by local municipalities to provide counsel in matters of municipal zoning and planning, including rezoning, comprehensive plan processes, SEQRA counsel on large-scale development, and Article 78 defense of land use decisions. Some of our legal services include:
- Land use counsel for use and area variances, special use permits, site plan approval, planned development districts, and rezoning
- SEQRA counsel for environmental review of all projects under either a Negative Declaration or Positive Declaration
- Site acquisition counsel for purchase, financing and development of land
- Economic development counsel for local, region and New York State programs
- Commercial development counsel for joint ventures, complex tenancy relationships, and multiple-entity contracting
Known as preeminent litigators, Carter Conboy delivers appropriate legal relief in the event of an error in a municipal or land use decision. We are well versed in the Article 78 municipal review process and have successfully handled reviews of variance, site plan and special permit denials, SEQRA findings, and legislative zoning decisions.
Regulatory Counsel for Alternate and Renewable Energy
Carter Conboy supports real property developers with your regulatory issues involving wind, solar, and other alternative and renewable energy. We represent you before federal, state, and local agencies and boards on energy, environmental, siting, and related regulatory matters. We are well versed on New York State’s Article 10 (and the original Article X), as well as SEQRA and NEPA concerning siting and environmental review, and have substantial experience with state and local municipal laws and practices related to alternate and renewable energies.
Beyond Land Use, Zoning and Real Property Development
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your real property development matters. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From preparing your will, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.