Labor and Employment Law
Legal Services for Your Labor and Employment Needs
At Carter Conboy, we understand the shifting and complex labor and employment laws and regulations that affect your business. For decades, our attorneys have helped our private and public sector clients navigate the ever-changing and complicated labor and employment landscape.
Labor and employment law touches every facet of business operations between employers and employees – from recruiting and hiring practices, to promotion and retention, counseling and termination. Carter Conboy stands with you to help you achieve your goals, advance your objectives, and protect your business.
Accomplished Labor and Employment Attorneys
With one of the most established and successful labor and employment practices in New York, Carter Conboy attorneys advise our labor and employment clients in all aspects of employment counseling, planning, investigations, and litigation.
Our attorneys have represented public and private sector employers and management for decades. We deliver the experience, industry and trade knowledge, and resources necessary to counsel, defend, and protect you. We work closely with you to learn the nuances of your particular business, so we can contain your risk and provide high-value, cost-conscious legal services.
Labor and Employment Clients
Our labor and employment clients span every industries we serve. From retail and hospitality, to banking and education, and health care and transportation, we can help you. Our clients include private companies and public entities, and range from small business owners and Fortune 500 companies, to non-profit organizations and government entities.
Comprehensive Labor and Employment Services
Our services involve a wide-range of issues affecting employers and management, including counseling, planning, risk management, response to emergency and critical issues, representation before labor boards, and litigation defense. Some of the topics we assist our clients with include:
- Litigation in state and federal courts
- Administrative proceedings before the New York State Division of Human Rights (NYSDHR) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Affirmative Action
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADA)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Arbitration and mediation of labor and employment disputes, claims, and grievances
- Attendance, Counseling, Corrective Procedures, Discipline, Grievances, Misconduct, Resignation, Suspension, Testing, and Termination
- Background Checks and Screening
- Contracts, Leases, Agreements, Property Transactions
- Crisis Prevention and Counseling
- Critical Incident Response Team
- Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace
- Electronic Information and Communications
- Employer Rights
- Employee Handbooks, Policies, and Procedures
- Employee Training
- Employment and Labor Contracts and Negotiation
- Employment Litigation
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Employee Leave
- Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act (GINA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Independent Contractors
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009
- Litigation Prevention
- Media Management
- Negligent Retention and Supervision
- New Hire Reporting
- New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL)
- New York State Division of Human Rights (NYSDHR)
- New York State Family Medical Leave
- NLRA and Labor Relations
- Noncompetition Agreements and Trade Secrets
- Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and Administration
- Performance Evaluations
- Policy Development and Implementation
- Posting Requirements
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978
- Privacy in the Workplace
- Professional Licensing and Discipline
- Recordkeeping Requirements
- Recruiting and Hiring Practices
- Regulatory Investigations and Compliance
- Risk Management
- Sexual Discrimination and Harassment
- Student Rights
- Temporary Employees
- The Age Discrimination Act of 1967
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- Training Workshops
- Unemployment Claims and Appeals
- Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act (USERRA)
- United States Department of Labor (USDOL)
- Voluntary Separation Agreements
- Wages and Hours
- Whistleblower Protection
- Workers’ Compensation
- Workforce Reduction
- Workplace Harassment and Violence
- Workplace Safety
For close to a century, litigation has been a core strength of our firm. In a sector where legal issues are complex and the stakes are high, we are there to advocate for you from the beginning of litigation and protect you until resolution.
When litigation disputes arise, we are exceedingly qualified to handle the sensitive issues involved in labor and employment claims. We work closely with our clients from the time of service, to aggressively defend your interests throughout discovery and depositions, motion and appellate practice, and resolution whether by dismissal, mediation, settlement, or trial.
Our labor and employment litigation practice includes individual and class action discrimination cases in federal and state courts.
Counseling and Risk Mitigation
At Carter Conboy, we are known for our success in defending employers in labor and employment claims. We are equally accomplished in helping our clients minimize and avoid litigation with our counseling, prevention, and risk management services. We deliver a broad range of counseling, including workplace planning and strategy; development of personnel policies, procedures, and handbooks; in-house investigations; on-site education and training; internal audits; statutory and regulatory compliance; and employee discipline and discharge.
Labor and Employment Investigations
Whether investigating a single matter against a small employer or a series of issues against a national company, our labor and employment clients look to us to for support in identifying, resolving, and mitigating workplace issues. We work with you to create and implement corrective plans of action to reduce future claims and liability.
We represent public sector clients with a myriad of labor and employment matters, including issues concerning hiring, discipline, promotion, and discharge of employees, and involving the New York Civil Service Law, New York Education Law, and The Taylor Law (Public Employees’ Fair Employment Act), and Public Employment Relations Board (PERB).
OSHA and Workplace Health and Safety
New York is a highly regulated state. There are thousands of safety and health regulations that affect employers. You are required to keep abreast of regulatory changes, comprehend the complex issues involved, and be in full compliance. It is a daunting task for anyone and having a support team on your side is vital. Fortunately, the attorneys at Carter Conboy are industry leaders, knowledgeable and informed on OSHA compliance regulations and obligations. We support you from the beginning by providing risk management counseling, safety training programs, and developing and implementing compliance procedures. We stay with you if an OSHA inspector arrives to guide you during the critical hours and days of inspection and throughout the emergency response. We defend and protect you to the end, in all instances of citations, charges, and litigation.
Employee Handbooks, Policies and Procedures
An employee handbook is essential for a number of reasons. The most obvious is to keep your business legally compliant with rapidly changing federal, state, and local laws. Other reasons are important too, such as the opportunity to make a statement about your culture and brand, and your ability to use it as a recruiting and retention tool.
Employee handbooks, policies, and procedures need to be carefully crafted to avoid human resource and legal issues – specific but carefully worded. Our attorneys work with you to craft concise and easy to understand handbooks addressing a myriad of workplace issues, including confidentiality, social media and data privacy, reasonable accommodations, retaliation, wages and payroll, state-specific laws, leave benefits, time and attendance, and EEOC policies and rights.
Beyond Labor and Employment Law
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your labor and employment matters. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From preparing your will, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.