Environmental and Toxic Tort Law
Legal Services for Your Environmental and Toxic Tort Needs
Our attorneys handle a wide range of environmental and toxic tort matters, including defending private parties in litigation, providing regulatory counseling and representation during environmental investigations, as well as counseling our clients with respect to land use and zoning matters.
At Carter Conboy, our clients trust us to be on the forefront of an evolving environmental landscape with its complex regulations, unique challenges, and significant litigation exposure.
Accomplished Environmental Law Attorneys
Our team of environmental and toxic tort attorneys is a skilled and accomplished group with a long history of providing counseling on complicated environmental planning and regulatory matters, and defending claims involving environmental issues and toxic torts.
Our attorneys earn your respect with unmatched preparation and reliable delivery. Whenever you need us, we will be at your side – on the worksite, before a zoning, planning, or municipal board, at the negotiation table, or in the courtroom.
While our credentials speak to one side of our success, our down-to-earth approach and straightforward communication style have built long-lasting relationships.
Our Environmental Clients
Our team of attorneys has decades of experience representing a wide range of environmental clients, including:
- Local, national, and international companies
- Insurance companies and third-party administrators
- Banks and financial institutions
- Developers, manufacturers, and distributors of toxic consumer products
- Construction industry
- Food and beverage industry
- Health care industry
- Hospitality and retail clients
- Pharmaceutical producers
- Property developers
- Land owners
- Transportation and logistics companies
- Aviation industry
Comprehensive Environmental and Toxic Tort Services
Our Environmental and Toxic Tort team delivers the necessary legal knowledge and technical expertise to clients in the following areas:
- Defense litigation of environmental claims involving:
- property damage due to pollutants
- labor and employment claims for exposure to hazardous substances
- personal injury defense involving injuries caused by exposure to chemicals, refined products, and other environmental products or elements
- environmental spill and pollution claims
- remediation and clean-up matters
- Toxic Tort litigation, from individual claims to class action defense, involving exposure to hazardous materials, toxins, and substances, such as:
- Cleansers and household chemicals
- Ethylene oxide
- Hexavalent Chrome
- Various waste materials
- Other harmful chemicals
- Counsel on environmental review processes, including the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) and the federal National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)
- Environmental regulatory investigations and compliance
- Legal counsel in substantive areas of environmental law, including air, water, solid waste, hazardous waste, infectious waste, transactions, building management, and the handling, transportation, regulation and cleanup of hazardous substances
- OSHA investigations and compliance
Defense of Complex Environmental Claims
For close to a century, Carter Conboy has been recognized as a premier litigation firm. In the environmental sector, where the legal issues are complex and the stakes are high, we are there to advocate for our clients from the beginning and protect you until resolution.
We provide our clients with the complete package necessary for the successful defense of complex environmental claims. Combining our experience with our preeminent reputation for litigation and ethics, we deliver a deep bench of seasoned, experienced, disciplined, and dedicated attorneys. Our breadth of services spans litigation, regulatory, and investigatory proceedings across a wide range of industries. Our attorneys are familiar and have positive relationships with local lawyers and law firms, as well as the state and federal judiciary and the local rules of procedure. We maintain connections to jurisdiction-appropriate experts, investigators, and litigation support, and possess a substantial understanding of the local jury pools, demographics, and verdict trends.
Class Action Defense
Class action lawsuits can have a few plaintiffs or thousands. A class action can have a devastating effect – from the impact on operations and financial stability to public relations scrutiny and negative brand consequences.
Plaintiffs’ attorneys are willing to spend significant time, money, and resources on winning a class action case because they get paid based on the amount of the class’s overall financial recovery. With that in mind, the attorneys at Carter Conboy work with our clients from the early stages to mitigate the plaintiffs’ chances of success and financial recovery from the start.
While we are always prepared to take a class action to trial, one of our preliminary defense strategies is defeating class certification. Additionally, we maintain credible and professional relationships with plaintiffs’ counsel and work to resolve cases outside of the courtroom through arbitration, mediation, and settlement.
Land Use, Zoning and Permitting
At Carter Conboy, we regularly represent clients before zoning, planning and municipal boards, and before a variety of New York State agencies with respect to environmental review processes, including the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) and the federal National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
Regulatory Counsel for Alternate and Renewable Energy
Carter Conboy supports real property developers with your regulatory issues involving wind, solar, and other alternative and renewable energy. We represent you before federal, state, and local agencies and boards on energy, environmental, siting, and related regulatory matters. We are well versed on New York State’s Article 10 (and the original Article X), as well as SEQRA and NEPA concerning siting and environmental review, and have substantial experience with state and local municipal laws and practices related to alternate and renewable energies.
Beyond Environmental and Toxic Tort Law
At Carter Conboy, we are able to support you beyond your environmental and toxic tort needs. Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys, combined with our diversified practice spanning 20 industries and 40 service areas, have you covered. From preparing your will, to defending you in litigation, to protecting your business interests, the strength of our team is the answer to your many legal needs.