Lawyers Servicing the Not-for-Profit Industry
At Carter Conboy, we believe that not-for-profit organizations play an important and dynamic role in our community. The legal challenges facing the nonprofit sector are as unique as the organizations themselves.
While passion and mission are vital components of not-for-profit organizations, financial and legal obligations also weigh heavily. Understanding and planning for business commitments before and during formation, and throughout operations, will help you meet your goals and objectives and reduce your risks.
We represent a variety industry clients, including charitable organizations, advocacy groups, labor, agriculture and horticulture organizations, trade and professional associations, social and recreational clubs, and fraternal societies. We also help individuals and families with philanthropic objectives, and for-profit businesses in their deals and transactions with not-for-profit organizations.
At Carter Conboy, we take an interdisciplinary approach to our work, coordinating the most experienced and capable team of attorneys to address each of your district needs. We counsel you through operations and fiduciary responsibilities and deliver risk management education to help you avoid costly litigation. When litigation is unavoidable, we will work closely with you to aggressively support and protect your interests. Our representation includes:
- Applying for not-for-profit and non-profit status
- Business and employment contracts
- Contract and lease drafting and negotiations
- Corporate governance including counseling on Bylaws, policies, procedures, fiduciary duties, best practices, ethics, and conflicts of interest
- Education and training
- Employments issues, counseling, and litigation
- Executive compensation issues
- Fiduciary duties of officers and directors
- Financing matters
- Government investigations
- Liability and risk avoidance counseling
- Litigation representation
- Outside counsel services
- Participating in board and committee meetings
- Public relations
- Real estate issues including acquisition, land development, planning, and zoning
- Regulatory compliance and finance issues
- Regulatory investigations and compliance
- Risk management counseling
- Technology and cyber counseling, planning and liability
Planning, Risk Management, and Claims Avoidance
Our attorneys stay current with the complex and ever-changing local, state, and federal codes, rules, and regulations to provide sound and trustworthy advice, strategy, and representation to our clients. We develop and implement effective compliance plans for you so you can manage your business legally and compliantly.
If you find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit, it is essential that you hire a tested litigator skilled in defending not-for-profit organizations. Our trial attorneys have represented the not-for-profit sector for decades, and deliver the experience, industry and trade knowledge, and resources necessary to defend and protect you.
Education and Training to Not-for-Profits
Local, state and national not-for-profit industry looks to Carter Conboy to deliver quality educational programming. We offer our clients tailored one-day programs, multi-day seminars, webinars, compendia, and newsletters on topics important to you. Recent examples include:
- An annual presentation to a local professional group providing legal updates pertinent to its members.
- A one-day program presented to a national trade association on topics including employee relations, ethics, confidentiality, and attorney-client privilege.
- Quarterly and annual presentations to a regional professional group on pressing legal topics and procedural updates.
- Monthly webinars to a statewide trade group on topics including powers of attorney, business succession, estate planning, labor law and employment updates, and copyright issues.
- A one-day program presented to a state fraternal society on the collection of civil debt.
- Whitepaper for a transportation and logistics advocacy group on topics including compliance reform, employment background checks, workplace harassment, termination of employees, and costly class action lawsuits.